• In an Al Jazeera interview, U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates advised Arab governments to “strengthen their security capabilities” as a deterrent to Iran. [AFP]
• But when asked about America’s “double standard” toward Israel’s nuclear capability, Gates defended the U.S. posture. [JPost]
• A federal judge ruled free-speech protections did not prevent New York City from firing the principal of a public school designed to teach Arab culture after she defended “Intifada NYC” t-shirts. [Arutz Sheva]
• The Croatian national soccer team has been accused of using fascist slogans and songs, some about the Holocaust, to excite their fans before matches. [Haaretz]
• Russia denied a report that a cargo ship hijacked by pirates earlier this summer was carrying anti-aircraft missiles to Iran. [ynet]
Marc Tracy is a staff writer at The New Republic, and was previously a staff writer at Tablet. He tweets @marcatracy.