• Carmen Weinstein, who led efforts to preserve synagogues in Egypt and helped lead the remnant Jewish community there for decades, has passed away at 82. [WaPo]
• In a vote marked by lower turnout and a razor-thin small margin, Nicolás Maduro– Hugo Chávez’s chosen successor–beat Henrique Capriles Radonski, the grandson of Holocaust refugees, in Venezuela’s presidential election. [NYT]
• Following the end of the most recent nuclear talks, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s spree of defiance continues with a visit to Niger, a country stocked with uranium. [YNet]
• Following a lackluster response from the administration, the teacher responsible for the “Why Jews Are Evil” assignment at a high school in Albany, New York, will face punishment, according to the school district superintendent. [Reuters]
• Same poses, different names. A Kosher hybrid of yoga has a devoted following in Hadisic Crown Heights. [DNAInfo]
Adam Chandler was previously a staff writer at Tablet. His work has appeared in the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, the Atlantic, Slate, Esquire, New York, and elsewhere. He tweets @allmychandler.