• Foes of the Israeli conversion bill forced it off the table until the Knesset’s winter session begins, in mid-October. [JPost]
• The Senate Judiciary Committee approved Elena Kagan’s nomination to the Supreme Court, 13-6, while establishing that her lack of candor at the hearing will likely be the main knock against her from here on out. [Politico]
• Fatah is expected to back Palestinian President Abbas in accepting direct peace talks only after certain border- and security-related conditions are met. [JPost]
• The death of a Palestinian West Bank farming village. [Haaretz]
• A new group called U.S. Boat to Gaza is fundraising for just such a thing, which would be named ‘Audacity of Hope,’ after President Obama’s second memoir. Professor Rashid Khalidi is a prominent backer. [WP]
• Maureen Dowd offers Shylock 101. [NYT]
Marc Tracy is a staff writer at The New Republic, and was previously a staff writer at Tablet. He tweets @marcatracy.