• There is some backlash in Israel over the paying of benefits to ultra-Orthodox who spend their days studying rather than working. [NYT]
• It doesn’t help that three haredi non-profits are accused of embezzling millions from the state in phony stipends for yeshiva students. [Ynet]
• WikiLeaks revealeth: The U.A.E. considered keeping the assassination of Mahmoud al-Mabhouh quiet. Which would explain why al-Mabhouh’s death was originally reported as having been caused by cancer. [Arutz Sheva]
• The IDF killed a Hamas militant near the Gaza border fence, where tensions still simmer. [AP/NYT]
• Jewish-American liberals are beginning to have trouble stomaching Israeli occupation and Palestinian disenfranchisement! Wait, what’s the news hook? [NY Jewish Week]
• Avi Cohen, among the greatest Israeli soccer players ever, died at 54 after a car accident. [Haaretz/Forward]
Modern girls and modern rock and roll:
Marc Tracy is a staff writer at The New Republic, and was previously a staff writer at Tablet. He tweets @marcatracy.