• Sheldon Adelson will reportedly continue to be generous with his friend Newt Gingrich but will eventually back likely nominee Mitt Romney: His foremost commitment is to unseat President Obama. [NYT]
• The United States formally levied the new sanctions on Iran’s central bank. [AP/Vos Iz Neias?]
• The United States has closed its embassy in Damascus and evacuated its personnel, for safety reasons. [WP]
• The BDS Conference, which was over the weekend at the University of Pennsylvania, was criticized for not allowing a Philadelphia Jewish Exponent reporter in. [JTA]
• Prompted by the Eddie Long fiasco, Peter Manseau considers the dubious history of “goyish Jewish mishagas.” [Religion Dispatches]
• Joe Eszterhas discusses writing the screenplay for Mel Gibson’s Judah Maccabee movie. [NYT Magazine]
Cat on the pitch!
Marc Tracy is a staff writer at The New Republic, and was previously a staff writer at Tablet. He tweets @marcatracy.