• The 113th Congress officially convened for the first time on Thursday. John Boehner won re-elected to his post as house speaker, despite some discord within the ranks of the GOP. [NYT]
• Division among non-Islamist candidates will make it tough for them in future Egyptian elections, Eric Trager predicts. But they won’t disappear entirely. [Hudson Institute]
• The death toll of the Syrian civil war is now larger than the entire Arab-Israeli Conflict dating back to 1948. [CNN]
• Jewcy reports on Dr. Ruth Westheimer, who says her famous sex advice is not going to delivered by her to her grandchildren. [Jewcy]
• In honor of Scroll Editor Emeritus Marc Tracy’s birthday, we’ve got this video:
Adam Chandler was previously a staff writer at Tablet. His work has appeared in the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, the Atlantic, Slate, Esquire, New York, and elsewhere. He tweets @allmychandler.