• In Ashkelon, one man’s barking dog saved him from the rocket that struck his building. [Algemeiner]
• An Egyptian official blames Israel for the conflict in Gaza, which begs the question of how effective the new Egyptian government will be at brokering peace. [NYT]
• One take on why the U.S. has stayed on the sidelines so far. [Christian Science Monitor]
• Melanie Laurent (you might remember her as Shosanna Dreyfus from Inglourious Basterds) talks about her new WWII film La Rafle, currently screening in New York and Los Angeles. [Jewcy]
• Here’s a look at Judd Apatow’s newest film, This is 40. [THR]
Stephanie Butnick is deputy editor of Tablet Magazine and a host of the Unorthodox podcast.