• The White House is calling the upgrade of centrifuges for Iran’s nuclear program “a further escalation and a continuing violation” of its obligations to the international community. [Times of Israel]
• During his contentious hearing before the Senate Armed Services committee, Defense Secretary nominee Chuck Hagel apologized again for his remarks on the ‘Jewish’ lobby. [JTA]
• Josh Nathan-Kazis outlines a national student protest aimed against Hillel ban that bars sponsorship or involvement with any groups that support the boycott, divestment, sanctions (BDS) movement. [Forward]
• The Times profiles many of the prominent female (largely Jewish) theater directors among what was once seemingly a boys’ only club in New York. [NYT]
• Watch Beyoncé perform the National Anthem live at a press conference ahead of the Super Bowl. It’s pretty great. [Gawker]
Adam Chandler was previously a staff writer at Tablet. His work has appeared in the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, the Atlantic, Slate, Esquire, New York, and elsewhere. He tweets @allmychandler.