• World’s most powerful man calls disputed leader of foreign-occupied territory to ask him nicely not to propose a U.N. resolution that the world’s most powerful man can, if he wants, squash on command. This is very, very poor diplomacy on the Obama administration’s part. [Haaretz]
• When is “ethnic cleansing” also “genocide”? For Israel and Jewish scholars, the question hits particularly close to home. [Forward]
• Garry Kasparov on Bobby Fischer. [NYRB]
• Kinda wish this article on Jews for Jesus had made it more clear that it believes that they’re, y’know, not Jews. [New Voices]
• Israel closed its Turkish embassy in Ankara and consulate in Istanbul in response to apparent threats from Hezbollah. [Haaretz]
GOODBYE, Uncle Leo. You made us laugh. (And condolences to cousin Jeffrey.)
Marc Tracy is a staff writer at The New Republic, and was previously a staff writer at Tablet. He tweets @marcatracy.