• Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan pledged that Turkey would escort future humanitarian ships to Gaza, in defiance of Israel’s naval blockade. But Israel’s the irresponsible one. [Reuters/Haaretz]
• The Palestinians launched their P.R. blitz in favor of their upcoming statehood gambit with a ceremony in Ramallah. [AP/WP]
• President Ahmadinejad called on President Bashar Assad to halt his violent repression of protesters. [AP/WP]
• Mysteries continue to abound about last month’s attack in Eilat, for which—atypically—no terrorist group has actually claimed credit. [Time]
• The Washington Post editorializes against the bully Dan Snyder. [WP]
• The very real, and very deep, roots of Palestinian identity. [Now! Lebanon/Ibishblog]
Sid Caesar turned 89 today.
Marc Tracy is a staff writer at The New Republic, and was previously a staff writer at Tablet. He tweets @marcatracy.