• Two Israeli soldiers have been killed since Friday by suspected Palestinian gunmen, acts which the United States condemned in a statement. [Reuters]
• The second vistim was 20-year-old sargeant Gabriel Koby, who was shot by a sniper while guarding Sukkot worshippers in Hebron. [NYT]
• Egypt has banned the Muslim Brotherhood and ordered its assets confiscated, the first step in a likely larger crackdown on the group and other supporters of former president Mohammed Morsi. [NYT]
• Qassem Soleimani is the Iranian operative you’ve never heard of, who’s currently running the show in the Middle East and directing Bashar Assad’s war in Syria. [New Yorker]
• A Gloria Steinem comic book exists. I repeat, a Gloria Steinem comic book exists. [Explore]
• Sinkholes and low water levels are destroying the Dead Sea, and Eetta Prince-Gibson explains how it happened. [Slate via Moment]
Stephanie Butnick is deputy editor of Tablet Magazine and a host of the Unorthodox podcast.