Sundown: Edging Toward 2013, Fiscal Cliff
Plus Art Modell, Judy Freudberg, and the oldest synagogue in America
• Hours away from the deadline, there remains no deal yet on the looming fiscal crisis as the two sides continue to meet through the afternoon. [NYT]
• Dave Zirin writes on Art Modell, the legendary NFL owner and entrepreneur, who died earlier this year. [NYTM]
• Carina Chocano writes on Judy Freudberg, the (re)inventor of the modern day character Elmo, who died earlier this year. [NYTM]
• A dispute over the ownership of the finial bells of the country’s oldest Jewish synagogue in Touro, Rhode Island has turned into lawsuits. The colonial-era bells, which are worth millions, are being fought over by the first synagogue and the first Jewish congregation. [AP]
• Jewcy draws attention to Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who along with Zooey Deschanel, wants to know what you’re doing for New Year’s Eve. [Jewcy]
• Barbra Streisand’s version of Auld Lang Syne is (frighteningly) everything you hoped it would be and more.
Happy New Year!