Rabbi Speaks at Glenn Beck Gathering

Tells us Bible Belt is ‘Judaism’s safety belt’

Rabbi Daniel Lapin.(WP)

Glenn Beck’s “Restoring Honor” mega-rally Saturday, billed as a Christian religious revival, drew a crowd of between 50,000 and 600,000 (depending on who is counting). On Friday, however, the Fox News host gathered closer to 5000 of his closest friends at the Kennedy Center for a quieter event, “America’s Divine Destiny,” which featured all-stars like the Rev. John Hagee, Chuck Norris, and … Orthodox Rabbi Daniel Lapin.

Lapin, who has notoriously been tied to Jack Abramoff, echoed the larger themes of the night: “When you sever a flower from its roots, it dies,” he reportedly told the crowd. “I think what is happening in America is we’re being severed from our Biblical roots.” According to one of the event’s hosts, he urged the crowd to “study the Bible, make more money and say extra prayers for America.”

Of course, it was Shabbat, and so a microphone was a no-no. The audience, however, could apparently hear him fine, and even greeted him with a “Shabbat Shalom.”

The rally, Lapin told Tablet Magazine yesterday, demonstrated that “America is a country that is rooted in Christianity, and that this is one of the factors that have made America one of the most tranquil and prosperous homes that Jews have enjoyed for 2000 years.” He added, “I think of the Bible Belt as Judaism’s safety belt.”

At Lincoln Memorial, a Call for Religious Rebirth [NYT]
Glenn Beck Goes Messianic at America’s Divine Destiny Event Before 2500 Screaming Fans [Alternet]
Glenn Beck’s ‘Divine Destiny’ Event Focuses on Faith [Daily Caller]

David says:

Uh, right. I’m packing up my suburban household to move to rural Alabama. Jews have always been welcome there, and the more rural and southern the better. Glad my kids will finally get Jesus in their public school. I say enough of church-state separation. We need more religion in the public square. Whose religion, you ask? Don’t worry. I’m sure Chuck Norris and Glen Beck and company will make sure we are safe . . . until we are converted or consumed by the end of the world.

thrasher says:

I thought the presence of one jewish racist and bigot Andrew Breitbart in the tea party tent was a concern but to now observe another jewish racist Rabbi lapin in the Glenn Beck tent as well is troubling….

I hope this is not a trend as a Black activist I will be monitoring this development..

Phyllis says:

“It was Shabbot, so a microphone was a no-no.” How absurd. It was Shabbot, so he shouldn’t have been there in the first place.

What we witnessed Saturday was a Christian rally to assert Christian control over America and American history. For those Jews like Lappin who are comfortable giving up our equal moral and political status in America it was a step in the right direction. For the rest of us (and here I feel comfortable saying the overwhelming majority of us) it was a brazen assault on the constitutional separation of church and state and a rejection of two centuries of progress toward a multi-ethnic and multi-cultural America. It give me no solace that Beck and his ilk are willing to give me honorary Christian status. As my yeshiva education taught me, there is no such think as a Judaeo-Christian heritage in my mind and I cringe and shout gevalt when that illegitimate phrase is used.

Matmid says:

To the Black activist above,

Rabbi Lapin is an Orthodox rabbi, a scholar, and realizes that it is the love of Israel and Torah values of the right wing that make it the right choice for Jews who practice real Judaism. You say you will be ‘monitoring’ this rabbi carefully. We don’t need your monitoring. When was the last time Jews mugged, attacked, and robbed Jews, an almost daily occurrence in Crown Heights, Brooklyn? Jesse Jackson called NYC “Hymietown.” Had any Jew used the n-word, there would have been hell to pay, yet overt anti-semitism is somehow tolerable from the LEADERS of the liberal Black “Church.” Al Sharpton called for the burning down of Freddy’s Discount Store in Harlem simply because a Jew owned the store, taking us back to the days of the black riots in the 60s and 70s which drove Jews out of many urban neighborhoods. We are not the intolerant ones- your self-proclaimed messiahs are the in sensitive ones and the racist ones, calling for the damning of America and attacking the Jewish people and Land of Israel with their politics.

Phyllis

Are Orthodox Jews not allow to walk on Shabbos anymore?

I’m glad to see that everyone here is paranoid that “the Christians” are out to convert us or kill us mantra. Too bad you people can’t feel the same way about Islamic fundamentalism or Israel’s existential threat being waged by Iran.

Mark Anthony says:

Any real ”Christian” loves the Jews and it is the clearest way of seeing the truth of their belief. Honestly if a true ”Christian” the love of all people will be evident not just the Jews. As Jesus said ”the tree is known by it’s fruit”. I am a Christian and I have many friends of every color,creed and kind. Jews are God’s chosen people and have a special place in my heart. But God’s intent is that we learn to love as He does. It is our most desired goal to spread the truth of our Lord in love, does this make us ”evil” No, committed to our Lord’s commands, yes. Many claim to be ”Christians” but few really are. Many Jews have not accepted the truth of Jesus Christ, and this is addressed in our scripture, the day is coming where we will be as one before our God. Till then my and all ”real” Christian prayers are with our Jewish brothers and sisters. I am not a fox news fan but I do think Beck means well. God’s people will not be made of color but love, for Him,and others. This is the true sign of being his children.

Lisa Kaiser says:

Glenn Beck does not mean well. He is a right wing idealogue who has told people to flee from their churches if the churches talk about soical justice. social justice is at the core of Judaism and Christianity. As the Torah tells us “Justic justice shall you pursue.”

You say ” many Jews ahve no accepted the truth of Jesue Christ.” Mark, no who is truly Jew beleives that Jesus is the messiah. This is why Jews are not Christians. Messiah is a Jewish concept and Jewish Scripture defines what the messiah is. Jesus does not meet that definition.

but back tot he topic, I am appalled that a rabbi spoke at a Glenn Beck event.

michael weiner aka micheal savage claims to be number 3 radio talk host Beck proved savage-weiner is not 3, marc levin proves weiner savage in not even 4. savage is a fake phoney fraud and so is his never married midle aged son

33. I’ll immediately grab your rss as I can’t find your email subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Please let me know so that I could subscribe. Thanks.

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished to say that I’ve truly enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. After all I will be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again very soon!

Rabbi Speaks at Glenn Beck Gathering

Tells us Bible Belt is ‘Judaism’s safety belt’

The Politics Behind the FAA’s Israel Flight Ban

By Tony Badran — Is the White House using the agency to push its own agenda?