Hamantashen Have Poppy Seeds

Just to clear that up

Hamantaschen. Which is to say, poppy hamantaschen.(Chef Elf/Flickr)

Purim is Saturday night, and before the merrymaking is underway, let’s get one thing clear. As we learned in Wednesday’s New York Times—from Tablet Magazine contributing editor Joan Nathan—no matter what you are eating in your hamantashen (or what you think is your hamantashen), be it more typical prune or apricot or, if you find yourself at Tel Aviv’s Lehamim Bakery (which Nathan reports on), marzipan, halvah, pistachio, or marshmallows (!), let’s be clear about one thing: You’re only eating hamantashen if it is filled with poppy seeds.

People, this is science. Or at least language. Nathan quotes an Israeli food historian: “The meaning in German was mohn—poppy seeds—and tash—pocket.” “Poppy seed pockets,” folks.

Modern Flavors Transform a Purim Tradition [NYT]

Poppyseed filling tastes like dirt. I’d rather eat the contents of an ashtray.

Thank you, Lisa, for saying what I have been thinking all my life, but was not willing to say that the Emperor had no clothes! Lekvar rules!!

open your minds – poppyseed filling is manna from heaven. expand your palate and give it a try!

I make lots of poppy seed hamantaschen, just cause my kids don’t like em; that way my hubby and I can have more. Yeah, I’m that kind of mom.

vacciniumovatum says:

North American hamantaschen should be made with native North American fruit–blueberries!

Sharon B. says:

Poppy is the only hamantaschen that I eat, make or buy! If it is not Poppy, it is not Purim Hamantaschen! I love poppy, it is the very best taste….

That’s half true–real hamantaschen may also be filled with prune butter.

Which dough is more authentic- cookie dough or yeast dough?

Nokhem leyb says:

I love all those other tri-corner patries with the various fillings, but they are all just tasty cookies! Only poppy seed fillings result in authentic hamantaschen (as above). Sweeten the poppy seed filling properly, and try not to take a drug test after you’ve eaten them.

Susan Zuckerman says:

Poppy seed tastes funny, stick in your teeth, and
make you look like a drug attack after a urine test.
I look forward to LEKVAR and even raspberry and apricot
but the hamantaschen stops there. You may keep your marshmallow, etc in Tel Aviv.

Rick says:

Correction for Len – lekvar is prune butter, not poppy seeds.

Sander Postol says:

I’m deathly allergic to poppy seeds, so you can stick your poppy seed hamentashen up…

Matt Wachsman says:

Forgive the stupid question, please.
But is the name, then, a pun ?…. I thought it meant “Haman-hat” …. So, it also means poppy pocket ?

It is indeed a pun. The food simply happens to sound like Haman’s name. The food developed independently from Jewish sources, and we just picked it up.

chloe says:

hence, oznei haman

think of startrek(Wrath of Khan)

Hersh-Laib says:

I’ve always loved the poppy seed – honey mixture, though prunes are O.K. too. Chocolate is definitely OUT.

Judy says:

Use the mohn recipe from Joy of Cooking! It will please poppy-lovers and non-poppy lovers alike! You could eat it with a spoon, it’s so good! Happy Purim!

Were it not for mohn, Jews would have nothing to play with for hours afterward.

Keep working ,remarkable job!

Hamantashen Have Poppy Seeds

Just to clear that up

Italian Politician’s Primo Levi Parody Panned

By Stephanie Butnick — Beppe Grillo under fire for anti-government poem based on ‘If This Is a Man’