Sundown: Fourth of Jewly?
Holy fireworks, non-revelations about God, and Eruv 2.0
• The Wisconsin Jewish Chronicle suggests eight ways to make Independence Day more Jewish. One suggestion: to “let the sparks” of the fireworks “lift you to the world of the Zohar.” [WJC]
• An effort is underway to restore synagogues in west Afghanistan, where only one Jew remains. The project’s leader says she wants to find ways to put renovated religious buildings back “in public use”—we hear mikvehs have great acoustics. [Ynet]
• A New Jersey lawyer has been banned from practicing in his home state for allegedly “misappropriating” funds from the Holocaust survivors he represented. [Daily Record]
• Salon interviews Robert Wright about his new book The Evolution of God, which apparently rehashes the “scandalous” news that neither the old testament God nor Jesus were always the most gentle of spirits. [Salon]
• A new eruv in San Francisco has its own Twitter page. Sample tweet: “Stop stringing me along!” [NBCBA]