The Apology Episode, 5782
Ep. 287: We’re STILL sorry
Welcome to our annual apology episode!
As we do every year, we searched far and wide for stories about apologies, forgiveness, and repentance. We hope this episode inspires you to approach Yom Kippur with some new insights and appreciation for making amends.
First, we speak with legal scholar and former dean of Harvard Law School Martha Minow about U.S. law and forgiveness, and whether the justice system should perhaps be more forgiving.
Then, Rabbi Jonathan Spira-Savett, host of the new podcast Tov!, speaks with producer Robert about the concept of teshuva, repentance, and the source he believes can educate us all on repentance—NBC’s The Good Place, starring Kristen Bell and Ted Danson.
Next, writer Simone Ellin recounts her experience confronting her childhood bullies, and uncovers the surprising truth about how others remember events that were so traumatic to her.
We hear from author Susan Shapiro about her new memoir, The Forgiveness Tour, which explores many of the subjects we talk about when we talk about apologies—should you forgive someone who doesn’t apologize, what Judaism has to say about forgiveness, and whether some sins are truly unpardonable.
And you know it isn’t an Unorthodox apology episode without a visit from our favorite apology expert, former Tablet colleague and founder of the blog SorrryWatch, Marjorie Ingall.
Sorry, not sorry.
As always, let us know what you think of the show! Send us comments and questions at [email protected], or leave us a voicemail at (914) 570-4869. You can also record a voice memo on your smartphone and email it to us.
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to get new episodes, photos, and more. Join our Facebook group, and follow Unorthodox on Twitter and Instagram. Get a behind-the-scenes look at our recording sessions on our YouTube channel!
Get your Unorthodox T-shirts, mugs, and baby onesies at bit.ly/unorthoshirt. Want to book us for a live show? Email producer Josh Kross at [email protected].
Check out all of Tablet’s podcasts at tabletmag.com/podcasts.
AJWS supports activists working with vulnerable communities around the globe throughout the ongoing pandemic. Make your double-matched, tax-deductible donation today at AJWS.org/unorthodox.
Harry’s is a great shave at a great price. Get a Harry’s trial shave set for just $3 at harrys.com/unorthodox.
- UnorthodoxSafe and SoundEp. 302: Reflections on the Texas synagogue hostage situation, plus an interview with artist Mark PodwalJanuary 20, 2022
- UnorthodoxFamily TiesEp. 301: Designer Liz Lange on The Just Enough Family podcast and Christian composer Delvyn Case on the binding of Isaac January 13, 2022
- UnorthodoxThe 300th EpisodeSimon Doonan hosts a celebration of Unorthodox featuring personal stories from our hosts and milestone messages from listeners, friends of the show, and former guestsDecember 30, 2021
- UnorthodoxJews on ChristmasEp. 299: Melissa Clark’s yiddishe Christmas cookies, Jews and Christmas music, and the Jewish ballet dancer soloing in ‘The Nutcracker’ with the American Ballet TheaterDecember 23, 2021
- UnorthodoxBig CheeseEp. 298: Schmear shortage shenanigans, plus interviews with cookbook author Dorothy Kalins and scholar Ruth WisseDecember 16, 2021
- UnorthodoxMad MahjEp. 297: Joshua Malina on Mel Gibson, plus interviews with Israeli news anchor Yonit Levi and mahjong scholar Annelise HeinzDecember 9, 2021
- UnorthodoxHanukkah 2.0Ep. 296: Indigenous Jewish ‘Reservation Dogs’ actress Sarah Podemski and ‘New York Times’ columnist Ross DouthatDecember 2, 2021
- UnorthodoxIt’s Not Jewish ChristmasEp. 295: Celebrating the Festival of Lights with comedian Judy Gold, cookbook author Jake Cohen, #HanukkahFails, and new music from Sarah Aroeste and Jeremiah LockwoodNovember 18, 2021
- UnorthodoxBagels and BooksEp. 294: Carb drama, Kristallnacht birthdays, and an interview with Catholic novelist Alice McDermott November 11, 2021
- UnorthodoxHappy ReturnsEp. 293: Our three hosts are reunited, plus an interview with comedian Alex Edelman and a sardine sampling at Sherry Herring’s New York City outpostNovember 4, 2021
- UnorthodoxReturning to PittsburghEp. 292: Marking the third anniversary of the Tree of Life synagogue shooting with an audio portrait of how the community came together in its aftermathOctober 28, 2021
- UnorthodoxSpooky SchmoozingEp 291: ‘Halloween III’ actress Stacey Nelkin, horror writer Carrie Harris, and a ghost story from I.L. Peretz read by Dara HornOctober 21, 2021
- UnorthodoxThe Artful DodgerA little story about a big characterOctober 14, 2021
- UnorthodoxTake Me to ChurchEp. 290: This week, pork controversies, old bands, and a new podcast about an old antisemiteOctober 7, 2021
- UnorthodoxPardon the InterruptionEp. 289: So long, Tishrei! Hello, October!September 30, 2021
- UnorthodoxModern Day HeroesEp. 288: Real life and comic book Jews who kick ... September 23, 2021
- UnorthodoxThe Apology Episode, 5782Ep. 287: We’re STILL sorrySeptember 9, 2021
- UnorthodoxA Comforting New YearEp. 286: This week, we’re helping you ease into the new yearSeptember 2, 2021