The Apology Episode, 5782
Ep. 287: We’re STILL sorry
Welcome to our annual apology episode!
As we do every year, we searched far and wide for stories about apologies, forgiveness, and repentance. We hope this episode inspires you to approach Yom Kippur with some new insights and appreciation for making amends.
First, we speak with legal scholar and former dean of Harvard Law School Martha Minow about U.S. law and forgiveness, and whether the justice system should perhaps be more forgiving.
Then, Rabbi Jonathan Spira-Savett, host of the new podcast Tov!, speaks with producer Robert about the concept of teshuva, repentance, and the source he believes can educate us all on repentance—NBC’s The Good Place, starring Kristen Bell and Ted Danson.
Next, writer Simone Ellin recounts her experience confronting her childhood bullies, and uncovers the surprising truth about how others remember events that were so traumatic to her.
We hear from author Susan Shapiro about her new memoir, The Forgiveness Tour, which explores many of the subjects we talk about when we talk about apologies—should you forgive someone who doesn’t apologize, what Judaism has to say about forgiveness, and whether some sins are truly unpardonable.
And you know it isn’t an Unorthodox apology episode without a visit from our favorite apology expert, former Tablet colleague and founder of the blog SorrryWatch, Marjorie Ingall.
Sorry, not sorry.
As always, let us know what you think of the show! Send us comments and questions at [email protected], or leave us a voicemail at (914) 570-4869. You can also record a voice memo on your smartphone and email it to us.
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to get new episodes, photos, and more. Join our Facebook group, and follow Unorthodox on Twitter and Instagram. Get a behind-the-scenes look at our recording sessions on our YouTube channel!
Get your Unorthodox T-shirts, mugs, and baby onesies at bit.ly/unorthoshirt. Want to book us for a live show? Email producer Josh Kross at [email protected].
Check out all of Tablet’s podcasts at tabletmag.com/podcasts.
AJWS supports activists working with vulnerable communities around the globe throughout the ongoing pandemic. Make your double-matched, tax-deductible donation today at AJWS.org/unorthodox.
Harry’s is a great shave at a great price. Get a Harry’s trial shave set for just $3 at harrys.com/unorthodox.
- UnorthodoxUnder the StarsEp. 381: Celebrating Sukkot in styleSeptember 28, 2023
- UnorthodoxTalking the TalkEp. 380: Linguist Deborah Tannen on ‘cooperative overlap,’ Peoplehood founder Julie Rice on creating community through conversation, and Mitchell Silk on communicating across languages and culturesSeptember 21, 2023
- UnorthodoxStealing the ShowEp. 379: ‘Golda’ director Guy Nattiv and ‘You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah’ writer Amanda SternSeptember 14, 2023
- UnorthodoxBeautifully JewishEp. 378: Starting the new year with a celebration of the objects that enrich our Jewish livesSeptember 7, 2023
- UnorthodoxWe Could NoshEp. 377: Jake Cohen’s new cookbook; the Jewish story behind PLNT Burger; New York’s rugelach king; and a trip Across the JEW.S.A. to the kosher Catskills August 31, 2023
- UnorthodoxSounds of the SeasonEp. 376: High Holiday music prep with Rabbi Josh Warshawsky, plus Ladino singer Sarah Aroeste, and the music archive of the National Library of IsraelAugust 24, 2023
- UnorthodoxEntering Elul Ep. 375: Diving into the month leading up to the High Holidays with Rabbi Dovid Bashevkin, Rabbi Diana Fersko, and moreAugust 17, 2023
- UnorthodoxRocky Mountain High NotesEp. 374: Song Exploder host Hrishikesh Hirway’s new single, plus a trip Across the JEW.S.A. to ColoradoAugust 3, 2023
- UnorthodoxWorking It OutEp. 373: A Tisha B’Av refresher, plus football coach and ‘An Army of Normal Folks’ podcast host Bill CourtneyJuly 27, 2023
- UnorthodoxKosher FaceEp. 372: Sarah Silverman on her new comedy special ‘Someone You Love,’ plus an exploration of the National Library of IsraelJuly 20, 2023
- UnorthodoxLesson PlansEp. 371: Benyamin Cohen on ‘The Einstein Effect,’ plus a look behind the scenes of the new Israeli TV show ‘The Lesson’July 13, 2023
- UnorthodoxThe Name GameEp. 370: The truth behind Jewish name changes at Ellis Island, plus a preview of a new Tablet podcastJuly 6, 2023
- UnorthodoxEyes on the PrizeEp. 369: Heading ‘Across the JEW.S.A.’ to Deadwood, South Dakota, plus Antonio Pagliarulo on the evil eye, and JCC Krakow’s Jonathan Ornstein on Jewish life in Poland todayJune 29, 2023
- UnorthodoxCoronation CholentEp. 368: Chief Rabbi Sir Ephraim Mirvis; The Best Advice Show host Zak Rosen; exploring the archive of the National Library of IsraelJune 22, 2023
- UnorthodoxBubble TroubleEp. 367: Comedian Alex Edelman on his show ‘Just for Us’ heading to Broadway, and sportswriter Will Leitch on fatherhood and Little LeagueJune 15, 2023
- UnorthodoxStepping OutEp. 366: Comedian Modi on ‘moshiach energy’ and coming out, and Father James Martin on his work addressing LGBTQ issues within the Catholic ChurchJune 8, 2023
- UnorthodoxAll That JazzEp. 365: ‘Afghan Dreamers’ producer David Cowan, and a trip across the JEW.S.A. to New Orleans for Jazz Fest ShabbatJune 1, 2023
- UnorthodoxUnorthodox 2.0Ep. 364: Welcoming our new co-host Joshua Malina; plus interviews with ‘Jewish Matchmaking’ producer Aaron Saidman and ‘Leopoldstadt’ actor Aaron NeilMay 25, 2023