Modern Day Heroes
Ep. 288: Real life and comic book Jews who kick ...
Happy Sukkot, J-Crew!
While we sit here in our huts, shaking our palm fronds and citrons, we bring you a slew of Jews redefining the term “modern day heroes.”
As we do every year, we searched far and wide for stories about apologies, forgiveness, and repentance. We hope this episode inspires you to approach Yom Kippur with some new insights and appreciation for making amends.
First, Tablet Chief Administrative Officer Sam Hacker heroically swoops in to guest host, saving the show from another week of just Mark and Liel.
Then, Mark speaks with Jonathan Lipnicki, a jiujitsu and MMA trained fighter using his talents to protect Jews from antisemitic attacks. Oh, and you might remember him from such movies as Jerry Maguire and Stuart Little.
Finally, Liel speaks with author E. Lockhart, the author of Whistle: A New Gotham Hero, featuring DC Comics’ first Jewish superhero in over 40 years, Willow Zimmerman.
As always, let us know what you think of the show! Send us comments and questions at [email protected], or leave us a voicemail at (914) 570-4869. You can also record a voice memo on your smartphone and email it to us.
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to get new episodes, photos, and more. Join our Facebook group, and follow Unorthodox on Twitter and Instagram. Get a behind-the-scenes look at our recording sessions on our YouTube channel!
Get your Unorthodox T-shirts, mugs, and baby onesies at bit.ly/unorthoshirt. Want to book us for a live show? Email producer Josh Kross at [email protected].
Check out all of Tablet’s podcasts at tabletmag.com/podcasts.
AJWS supports activists working with vulnerable communities around the globe throughout the ongoing pandemic. Make your double-matched, tax-deductible donation today at AJWS.org/unorthodox.
Rothy’s shoes aren’t just for women anymore! Rothy’s now sells men’s sneakers and men’s driving loafers. Right now, you can get $20 off your first purchase at rothys.com/UNORTHODOX
- UnorthodoxUnorthodox Comes Alive!Ep. 318: Congresswoman Elaine Luria and NFL hall-of-famer Bruce Smith, live from Virginia BeachMay 19, 2022
- UnorthodoxBig Bang SliceEp. 317: ‘Jeopardy!’ host Mayim Bialik on her ‘very, very Jewish’ new film, plus Eddie Chang on Buy Nothing groups, and a ‘Licorice Pizza’ reviewMay 12, 2022
- UnorthodoxThe MothershipEp. 316: Jewish Fertility Foundation; Ester Steinberg’s postpartum comedy special; a Fragile X diagnosis; a complicated college graduationMay 5, 2022
- UnorthodoxPuzzling ThroughEp. 315: A.J. Jacobs on crosswords, riddles, and Wordle, plus director Barry Levinson’s new film, ‘The Survivor’April 28, 2022
- UnorthodoxRootless CosmopolitansEp. 314: Barry Manilow on his new musical ‘Harmony,’ Andy Markovits on the power of a passport, and Tablet’s Maggie Phillips on religious literacyApril 21, 2022
- UnorthodoxBonus: Passover MelodiesMusician Josh Warshawsky sings us through the SederApril 14, 2022
- UnorthodoxA Passover to RememberEp. 313: Our hosts make this ancient holiday feel personal, relevant, and meaningfulApril 7, 2022
- UnorthodoxWhat’s Cookin’?Ep. 312: Massachusetts State Sen. Eric Lesser on inaugurating the Obama White House Seders, and Unorthodox producer Quinn Waller on learning to make chicken soup for PassoverMarch 31, 2022
- UnorthodoxWe Are FamilyEp. 311: Julie Platt on Jewish Federations (and her talented Jewish family), and Father Thomas Soroka on Orthodox ChristianityMarch 24, 2022
- UnorthodoxParty OnEp. 310: Reveling on Purim, celebrating 100 years of the bat mitzvah, and revisiting a ‘Preppy Handbook’ parodyMarch 17, 2022
- UnorthodoxPosted NotesEp. 309: A deep dive into our mailbox, plus TikTok sax star Evan Jacobson and journalist Shawn SetaroMarch 10, 2022
- UnorthodoxRocking and RollingEp. 308: Shlock Rock’s Lenny Solomon and Jane Austen scholar Devoney LooserMarch 3, 2022
- UnorthodoxGoing PlacesEp. 307: Tablet’s Armin Rosen and Vladislav Davidzon offer a window into UkraineFebruary 24, 2022
- UnorthodoxChasing MemoriesEp. 306: Tablet’s Wayne Hoffman on solving a family murder mysteryFebruary 17, 2022
- UnorthodoxOld SchoolEp. 305: Chuck Klosterman on his new book about the ’90sFebruary 10, 2022
- UnorthodoxComing in HotEp. 304: Jürgen Krauss of ‘The Great British Baking Show,’ and investigative journalist Carl BernsteinFebruary 3, 2022
- UnorthodoxHeroes and VillainsEp. 303: A conversation with Rabbi Charlie Cytron-Walker of Temple Beth Israel in Colleyville, TexasJanuary 27, 2022
- UnorthodoxSafe and SoundEp. 302: Reflections on the Texas synagogue hostage situation, plus an interview with artist Mark PodwalJanuary 20, 2022