Bagels and Books
Ep. 294: Carb drama, Kristallnacht birthdays, and an interview with Catholic novelist Alice McDermott
This week on Unorthodox, are we ready for a Better Bagel?
Our guest is novelist Alice McDermott, whose latest book is What About the Baby? Some Thoughts on the Art of Fiction. She tells us about her 1998 National Book Award-winning novel, Charming Billy, as well as her Catholic faith, relationship with the church, and what she misses now that she’s no longer teaching.
Tablet’s 100 Most Jewish Foods book has been reimagined as a jigsaw puzzle, memory game, and sticker book, just in time for Hanukkah. Check out the whole set here.
Unorthodox is produced by Tablet Studios. Please consider making a tax-deductible donation at bit.ly/givetounorthodox.
Send comments and questions to firstname.lastname@example.org, or leave us a voicemail at (914) 570-4869. You can also record a voice memo on your smartphone and email it to us.
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to get new episodes, photos, and more. Join our Facebook group, and follow Unorthodox on Twitter and Instagram. Get a behind-the-scenes look at our recording sessions on our YouTube channel!
Check out all of Tablet’s podcasts at tabletmag.com/podcasts.
Diller Teen Tikkun Olam Awards recognize 15 extraordinary Jewish teenagers from across the United States with an award of $36,000 to honor their initiatives to help change the world. Nominate a teen by Jan. 7 at dillerteenawards.org/unorthodox.
AJWS supports more than 500 grassroots human rights organizations in 18 countries around the world. Make a twice-matched donation today at AJWS.org/unorthodox.
Spertus Institute’s Certificate in Jewish Leadership is specifically geared to the particular needs of Jewish organizations. Find out more at spertus.edu/certificate.
- UnorthodoxHanukkah 2.0Ep. 296: Indigenous Jewish ‘Reservation Dogs’ actress Sarah Podemski and ‘New York Times’ columnist Ross DouthatDecember 2, 2021
- UnorthodoxIt’s Not Jewish ChristmasEp. 295: Celebrating the Festival of Lights with comedian Judy Gold, cookbook author Jake Cohen, #HanukkahFails, and new music from Sarah Aroeste and Jeremiah LockwoodNovember 18, 2021
- UnorthodoxBagels and BooksEp. 294: Carb drama, Kristallnacht birthdays, and an interview with Catholic novelist Alice McDermott November 11, 2021
- UnorthodoxHappy ReturnsEp. 293: Our three hosts are reunited, plus an interview with comedian Alex Edelman and a sardine sampling at Sherry Herring’s New York City outpostNovember 4, 2021
- UnorthodoxReturning to PittsburghEp. 292: Marking the third anniversary of the Tree of Life synagogue shooting with an audio portrait of how the community came together in its aftermathOctober 28, 2021
- UnorthodoxSpooky SchmoozingEp 291: ‘Halloween III’ actress Stacey Nelkin, horror writer Carrie Harris, and a ghost story from I.L. Peretz read by Dara HornOctober 21, 2021
- UnorthodoxThe Artful DodgerA little story about a big characterOctober 14, 2021
- UnorthodoxTake Me to ChurchEp. 290: This week, pork controversies, old bands, and a new podcast about an old antisemiteOctober 7, 2021
- UnorthodoxPardon the InterruptionEp. 289: So long, Tishrei! Hello, October!September 30, 2021
- UnorthodoxModern Day HeroesEp. 288: Real life and comic book Jews who kick ... September 23, 2021
- UnorthodoxThe Apology Episode, 5782Ep. 287: We’re STILL sorrySeptember 9, 2021
- UnorthodoxA Comforting New YearEp. 286: This week, we’re helping you ease into the new yearSeptember 2, 2021
- UnorthodoxSneak Peek: Antisemitism, ExplainedA new YouTube series by Tablet’s Yair RosenbergAugust 19, 2021
- UnorthodoxMuch Ado About DiasporaEp. 285: Join us for a special episode about Israeli-American Jewish relations August 12, 2021
- UnorthodoxReviewing ElulEp. 284: Our guest host searches for her soul while our GOTW helps us search for home appliances August 5, 2021
- UnorthodoxLobster RolesEp.283: Stray cats in Israel (again), Netflix star Jaren Lewison on ‘Never Have I Ever,’ and chef Andrew Gruel on giving out free shellfish July 29, 2021
- UnorthodoxThe Pregnancy EpisodeEp. 282: Jewish superstitions, genetic testing, baby names, and moreJuly 22, 2021
- UnorthodoxHomeward BoundEp. 281: Reclaiming family property in Poland, writing a Holocaust survivor’s memoir, and what happens when Jeff Goldblum crashes your wedding photosJuly 15, 2021