We Could Nosh
Ep. 377: Jake Cohen’s new cookbook; the Jewish story behind PLNT Burger; New York’s rugelach king; and a trip Across the JEW.S.A. to the kosher Catskills
This week on Unorthodox, we’re chowing down.
Cookbook author and chef Jake Cohen returns to the show to tell us about his new cookbook, I Could Nosh: Classic Jew-ish Recipes Revamped for Every Day. He also shares some recipes for your Rosh Hashanah table.
Producer Quinn Waller brings us along to Lee Lee’s Baked Goods in Harlem to talk to Alvin Lee Smalls, the man behind some of the best rugelach in New York City.
Tablet writer Maggie Phillips returns to the show to visit PLNT Burger and chat with co-founders Seth Goldman and Julie Farkas about the surprising Jewish ethos behind the business and their work to make burgers available to people of all faiths.
We’re also taking a trip Across the JEW.S.A to the thriving Orthodox community in the Catskills. Across the JEW.S.A. is created with the support of the Jewish Federations of North America. You can catch up on the rest of our travels across the JEW.S.A. at tabletmag.com/jewsa.
We love to hear from you! Send us emails at [email protected], or leave a voicemail at our listener line: (914) 570-4869.
Check out our Unorthodox tees, mugs, and hoodies at tabletstudios.com.
Unorthodox is produced by Tablet Studios. Check out all of our podcasts at tabletmag.com/podcasts.
Hadassah is hosting “Inspire Zionism: Tech, Trailblazers and Tattoos,” a two-day online event featuring panels with inspiring Zionist women, hosted by our own Stephanie Butnick. To join the conversation on Oct. 25 and 26, register at go.hadassah.org/inspire.
MAZON: A Jewish Response to Hunger is fighting hunger among people of all faiths and backgrounds in the United States and Israel. Visit mazon.org/unorthodox to join their fight to end hunger. Right now your donation will be doubled, up to $100,000!
- UnorthodoxUnder the StarsEp. 381: Celebrating Sukkot in styleSeptember 28, 2023
- UnorthodoxTalking the TalkEp. 380: Linguist Deborah Tannen on ‘cooperative overlap,’ Peoplehood founder Julie Rice on creating community through conversation, and Mitchell Silk on communicating across languages and culturesSeptember 21, 2023
- UnorthodoxStealing the ShowEp. 379: ‘Golda’ director Guy Nattiv and ‘You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah’ writer Amanda SternSeptember 14, 2023
- UnorthodoxBeautifully JewishEp. 378: Starting the new year with a celebration of the objects that enrich our Jewish livesSeptember 7, 2023
- UnorthodoxWe Could NoshEp. 377: Jake Cohen’s new cookbook; the Jewish story behind PLNT Burger; New York’s rugelach king; and a trip Across the JEW.S.A. to the kosher Catskills August 31, 2023
- UnorthodoxSounds of the SeasonEp. 376: High Holiday music prep with Rabbi Josh Warshawsky, plus Ladino singer Sarah Aroeste, and the music archive of the National Library of IsraelAugust 24, 2023
- UnorthodoxEntering Elul Ep. 375: Diving into the month leading up to the High Holidays with Rabbi Dovid Bashevkin, Rabbi Diana Fersko, and moreAugust 17, 2023
- UnorthodoxRocky Mountain High NotesEp. 374: Song Exploder host Hrishikesh Hirway’s new single, plus a trip Across the JEW.S.A. to ColoradoAugust 3, 2023
- UnorthodoxWorking It OutEp. 373: A Tisha B’Av refresher, plus football coach and ‘An Army of Normal Folks’ podcast host Bill CourtneyJuly 27, 2023
- UnorthodoxKosher FaceEp. 372: Sarah Silverman on her new comedy special ‘Someone You Love,’ plus an exploration of the National Library of IsraelJuly 20, 2023
- UnorthodoxLesson PlansEp. 371: Benyamin Cohen on ‘The Einstein Effect,’ plus a look behind the scenes of the new Israeli TV show ‘The Lesson’July 13, 2023
- UnorthodoxThe Name GameEp. 370: The truth behind Jewish name changes at Ellis Island, plus a preview of a new Tablet podcastJuly 6, 2023
- UnorthodoxEyes on the PrizeEp. 369: Heading ‘Across the JEW.S.A.’ to Deadwood, South Dakota, plus Antonio Pagliarulo on the evil eye, and JCC Krakow’s Jonathan Ornstein on Jewish life in Poland todayJune 29, 2023
- UnorthodoxCoronation CholentEp. 368: Chief Rabbi Sir Ephraim Mirvis; The Best Advice Show host Zak Rosen; exploring the archive of the National Library of IsraelJune 22, 2023
- UnorthodoxBubble TroubleEp. 367: Comedian Alex Edelman on his show ‘Just for Us’ heading to Broadway, and sportswriter Will Leitch on fatherhood and Little LeagueJune 15, 2023
- UnorthodoxStepping OutEp. 366: Comedian Modi on ‘moshiach energy’ and coming out, and Father James Martin on his work addressing LGBTQ issues within the Catholic ChurchJune 8, 2023
- UnorthodoxAll That JazzEp. 365: ‘Afghan Dreamers’ producer David Cowan, and a trip across the JEW.S.A. to New Orleans for Jazz Fest ShabbatJune 1, 2023
- UnorthodoxUnorthodox 2.0Ep. 364: Welcoming our new co-host Joshua Malina; plus interviews with ‘Jewish Matchmaking’ producer Aaron Saidman and ‘Leopoldstadt’ actor Aaron NeilMay 25, 2023