Return of the Shiksa: Unorthodox Episode 2
The Jewish Olympics head to Berlin, plus guests Simon Doonan and Hilary Liftin talk celebrity memoirs and fashionable Jewesses
It’s Thursday, which means the latest episode of Unorthodox is here. Tablet’s newest podcast, part of Slate’s Panoply network, is a smart, fresh, fun take on Jewish news and culture. (If you missed our first episode, it’s here–what are you waiting for?) Episode 2, I can assure you, does not disappoint.
To start, Tablet staffers Mark Oppenheimer, Liel Leibovitz, and I sound off on the latest headlines. This week, it’s the quadrennial European Maccabi Games—an offshoot of the World Maccabi Games, the so-called ‘Jewish Olympics’ established in 1929—which are currently taking place at Berlin’s Olympiastion. You know, the one Hitler built for the 1936 Olympics. We also tackle Republican presidential contender Mike Huckabee’s ill-advised Iran nuclear deal/gas chamber analogy (come on, dude), and the New York City Department of Education’s investigation into more than 30 Orthodox yeshivas. Yikes.
Our first guest is celebrity ghostwriter Hilary Liftin, who has collaborated on memoirs with Tori Spelling (including the perfectly titled sTori Telling), Miley Cyrus, Tatum O’Neal, and other boldfaced names. She discusses her new novel, Movie Star By Lizzie Pepper, a tell-all written by a fictional starlet swept away by an older Hollywood heartthrob involved in a strange cult. She doesn’t name names, in the book or on the air. She’s that good.
We’re also joined by Simon Doonan—Barneys’ creative ambassador at large, writer, and fashion world staple—who explains his lifelong affinity for the Jewish people, and why he credits the start of his lengthy fashion career to being a “mitzvah recipient.” He also regales us—in wonderfully descriptive detail—with a story about the adult circumcision he “theoretically” considered before his wedding to ceramicist and retailer Jonathan Adler, the nice Jewish boy who made mod Judaica a thing. All this before he schools us, the so-called panel of Jewish “experts,” with his Yiddishisms.
Let us know what you think of Unorthodox. Email us at [email protected].
Unorthodox is a smart, fresh, fun weekly take on Jewish news and culture hosted by Mark Oppenheimer, Stephanie Butnick, and Liel Leibovitz. You can listen to individual episodes here or subscribe on iTunes.
- UnorthodoxUnder the StarsEp. 381: Celebrating Sukkot in styleSeptember 28, 2023
- UnorthodoxTalking the TalkEp. 380: Linguist Deborah Tannen on ‘cooperative overlap,’ Peoplehood founder Julie Rice on creating community through conversation, and Mitchell Silk on communicating across languages and culturesSeptember 21, 2023
- UnorthodoxStealing the ShowEp. 379: ‘Golda’ director Guy Nattiv and ‘You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah’ writer Amanda SternSeptember 14, 2023
- UnorthodoxBeautifully JewishEp. 378: Starting the new year with a celebration of the objects that enrich our Jewish livesSeptember 7, 2023
- UnorthodoxWe Could NoshEp. 377: Jake Cohen’s new cookbook; the Jewish story behind PLNT Burger; New York’s rugelach king; and a trip Across the JEW.S.A. to the kosher Catskills August 31, 2023
- UnorthodoxSounds of the SeasonEp. 376: High Holiday music prep with Rabbi Josh Warshawsky, plus Ladino singer Sarah Aroeste, and the music archive of the National Library of IsraelAugust 24, 2023
- UnorthodoxEntering Elul Ep. 375: Diving into the month leading up to the High Holidays with Rabbi Dovid Bashevkin, Rabbi Diana Fersko, and moreAugust 17, 2023
- UnorthodoxRocky Mountain High NotesEp. 374: Song Exploder host Hrishikesh Hirway’s new single, plus a trip Across the JEW.S.A. to ColoradoAugust 3, 2023
- UnorthodoxWorking It OutEp. 373: A Tisha B’Av refresher, plus football coach and ‘An Army of Normal Folks’ podcast host Bill CourtneyJuly 27, 2023
- UnorthodoxKosher FaceEp. 372: Sarah Silverman on her new comedy special ‘Someone You Love,’ plus an exploration of the National Library of IsraelJuly 20, 2023
- UnorthodoxLesson PlansEp. 371: Benyamin Cohen on ‘The Einstein Effect,’ plus a look behind the scenes of the new Israeli TV show ‘The Lesson’July 13, 2023
- UnorthodoxThe Name GameEp. 370: The truth behind Jewish name changes at Ellis Island, plus a preview of a new Tablet podcastJuly 6, 2023
- UnorthodoxEyes on the PrizeEp. 369: Heading ‘Across the JEW.S.A.’ to Deadwood, South Dakota, plus Antonio Pagliarulo on the evil eye, and JCC Krakow’s Jonathan Ornstein on Jewish life in Poland todayJune 29, 2023
- UnorthodoxCoronation CholentEp. 368: Chief Rabbi Sir Ephraim Mirvis; The Best Advice Show host Zak Rosen; exploring the archive of the National Library of IsraelJune 22, 2023
- UnorthodoxBubble TroubleEp. 367: Comedian Alex Edelman on his show ‘Just for Us’ heading to Broadway, and sportswriter Will Leitch on fatherhood and Little LeagueJune 15, 2023
- UnorthodoxStepping OutEp. 366: Comedian Modi on ‘moshiach energy’ and coming out, and Father James Martin on his work addressing LGBTQ issues within the Catholic ChurchJune 8, 2023
- UnorthodoxAll That JazzEp. 365: ‘Afghan Dreamers’ producer David Cowan, and a trip across the JEW.S.A. to New Orleans for Jazz Fest ShabbatJune 1, 2023
- UnorthodoxUnorthodox 2.0Ep. 364: Welcoming our new co-host Joshua Malina; plus interviews with ‘Jewish Matchmaking’ producer Aaron Saidman and ‘Leopoldstadt’ actor Aaron NeilMay 25, 2023