Ep. 339: Making challah with Molly Yeh, Michael Twitty on ‘Koshersoul’ cooking, and Shannon Sarna on ‘Modern Jewish Comfort Food’
This week on Unorthodox, the mystery boxes are revealed! Mark, Stephanie, and Liel reveal the contents of their fundraiser giveaways, as well as the lucky winners.
Culinary historian Michael Twitty returns to the show to talk about his new book, Koshersoul: The Faith and Food Journey of an African American Jew.
Finally, we share an interview with food writer and self-professed “pizza bagel” Shannon Sarna, recorded live at our recent West Orange, New Jersey, live show. She tells us about her new book, Modern Jewish Comfort Food, and shares her tricks for the perfect challah.
We have brand new Unorthodox swag! Get your tees, mugs, and hoodies at tabletstudios.com.
Across the JEW.S.A. is a new Unorthodox project that will showcase 12 of the most inspiring Jewish stories across the country. Nominate your hometown at tabletm.ag/acrossthejewsa. Across the JEW.S.A. was created with support from the Jewish Federations of North America.
We’re heading back on the road! Find out about our upcoming events at tabletmag.com/unorthodoxlive.
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to get new episodes, photos, and more. Join our Facebook group, and follow Unorthodox on Twitter and Instagram. Get a behind-the-scenes look at our recording sessions on our YouTube channel.
Want to book us for a live show or event in your area, or partner with us in some other way? Email Tanya Singer at [email protected].
Unorthodox is produced by Tablet Studios. Check out all of our podcasts at tabletmag.com/podcasts.
- UnorthodoxEveryday HeroesEp. 391: Bernard-Henri Lévy’s new film about Ukraine, and Brooke Eby on raising awareness about ALSNovember 30, 2023
- UnorthodoxSitting TogetherEp. 390: A Beautifully Jewish Thanksgiving, featuring an iconic folding chair and a conversation with knitwear designer Inbal GrossNovember 22, 2023
- UnorthodoxDark Times, Bright LightsEp. 389: Reporting from the March for Israel in Washington, D.C.; Etgar Keret’s writer’s block; LeElle Slifer on advocating for her kidnapped Israeli cousins; and Tablet’s Hanukkah BazaarNovember 16, 2023
- UnorthodoxWords of WisdomEp. 388: Dan Senor on ‘The Genius of Israel’ and Gila Sacks on the legacy of her father, Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks, in this momentNovember 9, 2023
- UnorthodoxJewish PrioritiesEp. 387: A trip Across the JEW.S.A to Miami, plus timely conversations about Jewish identity, Israel, and more recorded live at the Weitzman National Museum of American Jewish HistoryNovember 2, 2023
- UnorthodoxClosely KnitEp. 386: Israeli actress Swell Ariel Or on living in the U.S. while Israel is at war, Tablet’s audience editor Ani Wilcenski on speaking up on social media, and artist Jeanette Kuvin Oren on teaching art to displaced children in IsraelOctober 26, 2023
- UnorthodoxMoving Forward, TogetherEp. 385: Rabbi Ari Lamm on what Jewish ethics says about freeing hostages and more; actress Lisa Edelstein on her new PBS series, ‘Little Bird’October 19, 2023
- UnorthodoxTime for ShabbatEp. 384: After a painful week, we’re embracing one of the most beautiful and steadfast Jewish traditionsOctober 13, 2023
- UnorthodoxVoices From IsraelEp. 383: Am Yisrael ChaiOctober 10, 2023
- UnorthodoxThe Good BookEp. 382: Co-host Liel Leibovitz on ‘How the Talmud Can Change Your Life,’ plus Israeli journalist Leore Dayan on his semi-autobiographical TV series ‘Normal’October 5, 2023
- UnorthodoxUnder the StarsEp. 381: Celebrating Sukkot in styleSeptember 28, 2023
- UnorthodoxTalking the TalkEp. 380: Linguist Deborah Tannen on ‘cooperative overlap,’ Peoplehood founder Julie Rice on creating community through conversation, and Mitchell Silk on communicating across languages and culturesSeptember 21, 2023
- UnorthodoxStealing the ShowEp. 379: ‘Golda’ director Guy Nattiv and ‘You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah’ writer Amanda SternSeptember 14, 2023
- UnorthodoxBeautifully JewishEp. 378: Starting the new year with a celebration of the objects that enrich our Jewish livesSeptember 7, 2023
- UnorthodoxWe Could NoshEp. 377: Jake Cohen’s new cookbook; the Jewish story behind PLNT Burger; New York’s rugelach king; and a trip Across the JEW.S.A. to the kosher Catskills August 31, 2023
- UnorthodoxSounds of the SeasonEp. 376: High Holiday music prep with Rabbi Josh Warshawsky, plus Ladino singer Sarah Aroeste, and the music archive of the National Library of IsraelAugust 24, 2023
- UnorthodoxEntering Elul Ep. 375: Diving into the month leading up to the High Holidays with Rabbi Dovid Bashevkin, Rabbi Diana Fersko, and moreAugust 17, 2023
- UnorthodoxRocky Mountain High NotesEp. 374: Song Exploder host Hrishikesh Hirway’s new single, plus a trip Across the JEW.S.A. to ColoradoAugust 3, 2023