Ep. 216: Live from Phoenix, Rabbis Pinchas Allouche and Shmuly Yanklowitz, and NBA Hall of Famer Paul Westphal
This week we’re bringing you two interviews from our live show at the Valley of the Sun JCC in Phoenix. First up, we get a double shot of rabbinical wisdom from Pinchas Allouche, the founding rabbi of Congregation Beth Tefillah, and Shmuly Yanklowitz, the president and dean of Valley Beit Midrash. They each share the story of their unlikely journey toward becoming a rabbi, and explain how they’re trying to make Judaism accessible to all sorts of Jews today.
Our gentile of the week is NBA Hall of Fame player Paul Westphal. Westphal won a championship with the Boston Celtics in 1974 and coached the Phoenix Suns to the NBA Finals in 1993. He tells us about his love of Israel, and brings the hosts one of the thorniest gentile of the week questions ever.
We also have a special treat: Mark and Stephanie’s appearance on Liel’s other podcast, Take One.
Let us know what you think of the show! Email us at [email protected] or leave a message at 914-570-4869.
Come see us on tour!
Feb. 20 – New York City: Stephanie in conversation with authors Goldie Goldbloom and Abby Chava Stein
Feb. 26 – Naples, Florida: Book talk with Stephanie and Mark
March 6 – Amherst, Massachusetts: Stephanie @ Yiddish Book Center
March 12 – Boca Raton, Florida: Book talk with Stephanie and Liel
March 17 – Long Island, New York: Book talk with Stephanie
March 19 – Virginia Beach, Virginia: Unorthodox live show
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to get new episodes, photos, and more.
Follow Unorthodox on Twitter and Instagram and join our Facebook group.
Get your Unorthodox T-shirts, sweatshirts, and baby onesies here.
Send your kids to a Jewish camp this summer! More than 180,000 campers and college-age counselors use the Foundation for Jewish Camp website to find their camp every summer. Go to onehappycamper.org/unorthodox and find the right camp for you.
Get ready for Purim with an order of delicious tahini products from Soom Foods. Head to soomfoods.com and use the code UNORTHODOX to receive 15% off your order. Try the pantry sampler, which includes their tahini, chocolate sweet tahini halva spread, and silan date syrup.
Unorthodox is a smart, fresh, fun weekly take on Jewish news and culture hosted by Mark Oppenheimer, Stephanie Butnick, and Liel Leibovitz. You can listen to individual episodes here or subscribe on iTunes.
- UnorthodoxAll That JazzEp. 365: ‘Afghan Dreamers’ producer David Cowan, and a trip across the JEW.S.A. to New Orleans for Jazz Fest ShabbatJune 1, 2023
- UnorthodoxUnorthodox 2.0Ep. 364: Welcoming our new co-host Joshua Malina; plus interviews with ‘Jewish Matchmaking’ producer Aaron Saidman and ‘Leopoldstadt’ actor Aaron NeilMay 25, 2023
- UnorthodoxThe Conversion Episode, 2023Ep. 363: Celebrating Shavuot by honoring all of our Jewish journeysMay 18, 2023
- UnorthodoxThe Long GameEp. 362: Rabbi Ari Lamm on spirituality in the NBA Playoffs; journalist Gabby Deutch on a Jewish cold case; and an up-close look at Maimonides’ 12th-century manuscripts May 11, 2023
- UnorthodoxThe Maine EventEp. 361: Nosh with Tash’s Natasha Feldman’s ‘The Dinner Party Project,’ and a trip Across the Jew.S.A. to Portland, MaineMay 4, 2023
- UnorthodoxThe Final FribbleEp. 360: Celebrating outgoing host Mark Oppenheimer with laughs, ’90s nostalgia, and a trip to Friendly’s April 27, 2023
- UnorthodoxComing HomeEp. 359: Jonathan Rosen on ‘The Best Minds’; a visit to Armenia; and a look at the history of Zionism on Israel’s 75th birthdayApril 20, 2023
- UnorthodoxListen and LearnEp. 358: Podcast macher Arielle Nissenblatt, Andrea Wakefield on Italian American cooking in Delaware, and a look inside the National Library of Israel’s collectionApril 13, 2023
- UnorthodoxPassover 101Ep. 357: Everything you need to pull off a meaningful and memorable SederApril 5, 2023
- UnorthodoxAcross the Jew.S.A: Louisville, KentuckyEp. 356: The bourbon industry’s surprising Jewish history, plus a ‘Seinfeld’ connection and much moreMarch 31, 2023
- UnorthodoxIn BloomEp. 355: Chanie Apfelbaum on her new kosher cookbook; celebrating baseball’s opening day with Zack Hample; and a new project from one of our hostsMarch 30, 2023
- UnorthodoxSesame ShtiselEp. 354: Grover does Passover, plus Ruth Markel on trauma and grandparent alienation, and Indian comedian Zarna Garg on learning from the Jews March 23, 2023
- UnorthodoxBunny BusinessEp. 353: Hen Mazzig on fighting antisemitism online and Gabriel Said Reynolds on teaching about Islam on YouTubeMarch 16, 2023
- UnorthodoxTuning InEp. 352: Jeremy Dauber on Jewish comedy and Mel Brooks, and Clueless’ Elisa Donovan on her acting—and writing—careerMarch 9, 2023
- UnorthodoxThe Whole MegillahEp. 351: Rethinking Purim, plus a visit to Shemesh Farms in Malibu, CaliforniaMarch 2, 2023
- UnorthodoxThreading the NeedleEp. 350: Ashley McKinless and Zac Davis on Jesuitical and Lent and traveling across the JEW.S.A. to Seattle February 23, 2023
- UnorthodoxNew WaveEp. 349: David Sax on ‘The Future Is Analog’ and William Finnegan on surfing February 16, 2023
- UnorthodoxUs PeopleEp. 348: Author Gabrielle Zevin on ‘Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow’ and a spirited discussion about Netflix’s ‘You People’February 9, 2023