Ep. 216: Live from Phoenix, Rabbis Pinchas Allouche and Shmuly Yanklowitz, and NBA Hall of Famer Paul Westphal
This week we’re bringing you two interviews from our live show at the Valley of the Sun JCC in Phoenix. First up, we get a double shot of rabbinical wisdom from Pinchas Allouche, the founding rabbi of Congregation Beth Tefillah, and Shmuly Yanklowitz, the president and dean of Valley Beit Midrash. They each share the story of their unlikely journey toward becoming a rabbi, and explain how they’re trying to make Judaism accessible to all sorts of Jews today.
Our gentile of the week is NBA Hall of Fame player Paul Westphal. Westphal won a championship with the Boston Celtics in 1974 and coached the Phoenix Suns to the NBA Finals in 1993. He tells us about his love of Israel, and brings the hosts one of the thorniest gentile of the week questions ever.
Let us know what you think of the show! Email us at [email protected] or leave a message at 914-570-4869.
Come see us on tour!
Feb. 20 – New York City: Stephanie in conversation with authors Goldie Goldbloom and Abby Chava Stein
Feb. 26 – Naples, Florida: Book talk with Stephanie and Mark
March 6 – Amherst, Massachusetts: Stephanie @ Yiddish Book Center
March 12 – Boca Raton, Florida: Book talk with Stephanie and Liel
March 17 – Long Island, New York: Book talk with Stephanie
March 19 – Virginia Beach, Virginia: Unorthodox live show
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to get new episodes, photos, and more.
Get your Unorthodox T-shirts, sweatshirts, and baby onesies here.
Send your kids to a Jewish camp this summer! More than 180,000 campers and college-age counselors use the Foundation for Jewish Camp website to find their camp every summer. Go to onehappycamper.org/unorthodox and find the right camp for you.
Get ready for Purim with an order of delicious tahini products from Soom Foods. Head to soomfoods.com and use the code UNORTHODOX to receive 15% off your order. Try the pantry sampler, which includes their tahini, chocolate sweet tahini halva spread, and silan date syrup.
Unorthodox is a smart, fresh, fun weekly take on Jewish news and culture hosted by Mark Oppenheimer, Stephanie Butnick, and Liel Leibovitz. You can listen to individual episodes here or subscribe on iTunes.
- UnorthodoxThe Apology Episode, 5783Ep. 332: Stories of reckoning, atonement, and goats on our eighth annual Yom Kippur special September 29, 2022
- UnorthodoxFamily Hold BackEp. 331: Filmmakers Ken Burns and Sarah Botstein on ‘The U.S. and the Holocaust,’ and kosher cookbook author Kim Kushner on ‘The Modern Table’September 22, 2022
- UnorthodoxClass ActsEp. 330: Author Michael Lewis on life among the Jews and CNN’s Dana Bash on reporting on antisemitismSeptember 15, 2022
- UnorthodoxDog DaysEp. 329: Sociologist Ilana Horwitz on ‘God, Grades, and Graduation,’ Australian novelist Tim Winton on surfing and writing, plus an appeal to our listenersAugust 18, 2022
- UnorthodoxInside and OutEp. 328: Abigail Pogrebin on the new installment of ‘The Minyan,’ Allison Josephs on Hollywood’s portrayal of Orthodox Judaism, and a very Unorthodox fundraiserAugust 11, 2022
- UnorthodoxMoving ForwardEp. 327: For Tisha B’Av, we’re talking to Rebecca Soffer of Modern Loss about grief, and Walter Russell Mead about Israel and AmericaAugust 4, 2022
- UnorthodoxStaying CoolEp. 326: Singer-songwriter Lisa Loeb on the joys of summer camp, Cantor Yisroel Leshes on reinterpreting Yiddish jazz musicJuly 28, 2022
- UnorthodoxFunny GirlsEp. 325: Broadway casting shakeups, plus Iranian American comedian Negin Farsad, and ‘Batman’ producer Michael Uslan July 21, 2022
- UnorthodoxMellow YellowThe Gist host Mike Pesca on the value of disagreement, and Argentine journalist Javier Sinay on ‘The Murders of Moisés Ville’ July 14, 2022
- UnorthodoxGood SportsEp. 323: Hindu monk Swami Tyagananda on spirituality and the modern world, and forthcoming Tablet Studios podcast host Meredith Shiner on a Sandy Koufax tribute at Dodger StadiumJune 30, 2022
- UnorthodoxStage HandEp. 322: The new Jewish star of Broadway’s ‘Dear Evan Hansen,’ plus how the Krakow JCC is helping Ukrainian refugees, talking to LGBTQ Jews, and moreJune 23, 2022
- UnorthodoxMixed GrillEp. 320: Restaurateurs Mike Solomonov and Steve Cook bring their Israeli skewer house to Brooklyn, journalist James Kirchick uncovers Washington, D.C.’s ‘Secret History’June 9, 2022
- UnorthodoxThe Conversion Episode, 2022Ep. 319: Our fifth annual Shavuot celebration of Jews by choice, featuring stories from Washington, D.C., to Jerusalem May 26, 2022
- UnorthodoxUnorthodox Comes Alive!Ep. 318: Congresswoman Elaine Luria and NFL hall-of-famer Bruce Smith, live from Virginia BeachMay 19, 2022
- UnorthodoxBig Bang SliceEp. 317: ‘Jeopardy!’ host Mayim Bialik on her ‘very, very Jewish’ new film, plus Eddie Chang on Buy Nothing groups, and a ‘Licorice Pizza’ reviewMay 12, 2022
- UnorthodoxThe MothershipEp. 316: Jewish Fertility Foundation; Ester Steinberg’s postpartum comedy special; a Fragile X diagnosis; a complicated college graduationMay 5, 2022
- UnorthodoxPuzzling ThroughEp. 315: A.J. Jacobs on crosswords, riddles, and Wordle, plus director Barry Levinson’s new film, ‘The Survivor’April 28, 2022
- UnorthodoxRootless CosmopolitansEp. 314: Barry Manilow on his new musical ‘Harmony,’ Andy Markovits on the power of a passport, and Tablet’s Maggie Phillips on religious literacyApril 21, 2022