Ep. 216: Live from Phoenix, Rabbis Pinchas Allouche and Shmuly Yanklowitz, and NBA Hall of Famer Paul Westphal
This week we’re bringing you two interviews from our live show at the Valley of the Sun JCC in Phoenix. First up, we get a double shot of rabbinical wisdom from Pinchas Allouche, the founding rabbi of Congregation Beth Tefillah, and Shmuly Yanklowitz, the president and dean of Valley Beit Midrash. They each share the story of their unlikely journey toward becoming a rabbi, and explain how they’re trying to make Judaism accessible to all sorts of Jews today.
Our gentile of the week is NBA Hall of Fame player Paul Westphal. Westphal won a championship with the Boston Celtics in 1974 and coached the Phoenix Suns to the NBA Finals in 1993. He tells us about his love of Israel, and brings the hosts one of the thorniest gentile of the week questions ever.
Let us know what you think of the show! Email us at [email protected] or leave a message at 914-570-4869.
Come see us on tour!
Feb. 20 – New York City: Stephanie in conversation with authors Goldie Goldbloom and Abby Chava Stein
Feb. 26 – Naples, Florida: Book talk with Stephanie and Mark
March 6 – Amherst, Massachusetts: Stephanie @ Yiddish Book Center
March 12 – Boca Raton, Florida: Book talk with Stephanie and Liel
March 17 – Long Island, New York: Book talk with Stephanie
March 19 – Virginia Beach, Virginia: Unorthodox live show
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter to get new episodes, photos, and more.
Get your Unorthodox T-shirts, sweatshirts, and baby onesies here.
Send your kids to a Jewish camp this summer! More than 180,000 campers and college-age counselors use the Foundation for Jewish Camp website to find their camp every summer. Go to onehappycamper.org/unorthodox and find the right camp for you.
Get ready for Purim with an order of delicious tahini products from Soom Foods. Head to soomfoods.com and use the code UNORTHODOX to receive 15% off your order. Try the pantry sampler, which includes their tahini, chocolate sweet tahini halva spread, and silan date syrup.
Unorthodox is a smart, fresh, fun weekly take on Jewish news and culture hosted by Mark Oppenheimer, Stephanie Butnick, and Liel Leibovitz. You can listen to individual episodes here or subscribe on iTunes.
- UnorthodoxMemories, RevisitedEp. 346: On International Holocaust Remembrance Day, stories of survival, Jewish pride, and a baby naming to rememberJanuary 26, 2023
- UnorthodoxMoving MountainsEp. 345: Rina Raphael on the dark side of the wellness industry and ‘Weird Al’ drummer Jon ‘Bermuda’ Schwartz on parody perfectionJanuary 19, 2023
- UnorthodoxHitting the RoadEp. 344: Starting our journey ‘Across the JEW.S.A.’ with a visit to Wilmington, Delaware, plus viral Yiddish singing sensation Mendel Goldman, and Jonathon Stalls on walking across the countryJanuary 12, 2023
- UnorthodoxAn Unorthodox Christmas SpectacularEp. 343: CBS’s Faith Salie, gospel musician Donald Lawrence, a Jewish mall Santa, and moreDecember 22, 2022
- UnorthodoxBright LightsEp. 342: Celebrating Hanukkah with eight inspiring stories from the Jewish worldDecember 15, 2022
- UnorthodoxWork ItEp. 341: Isabel Kaplan on her novel ‘NSFW,’ and Tabitha Soren on her photography career December 8, 2022
- UnorthodoxTough TalkersEp. 340: MSNBC anchor Katy Tur and ‘The Last Boss of Brighton’ author Douglas CenturyDecember 1, 2022
- UnorthodoxBonus: A Conversation With Tablet’s Editor-in-Chief Alana NewhouseTalking ‘Brokenism,’ America, and moreNovember 25, 2022
- UnorthodoxTruly ThankfulEp. 339: Making challah with Molly Yeh, Michael Twitty on ‘Koshersoul’ cooking, and Shannon Sarna on ‘Modern Jewish Comfort Food’November 24, 2022
- UnorthodoxBuilding Bridges Ep. 338: Actor Eric Ladin on ‘Where the Crawdads Sing’ and Jewish summer camp, interfaith leader Eboo Patel on embracing religious diversityNovember 17, 2022
- UnorthodoxSpirited DebateEp. 337: Letty Cottin Pogrebin reflects on her Jewish awakening and her Jewish identity within the feminist movementNovember 10, 2022
- UnorthodoxGenerally AssembledEp. 336: Live from the Jewish Federations of North America General Assembly with Eric Fingerhut, plus ‘Rap Capital’ author Joe Coscarelli, new podcast merch, and moreNovember 3, 2022
- UnorthodoxAround the TableEp. 335: ‘Somebody Feed Phil’ star Phil Rosenthal on honoring his late parents on screen, and CBS Sunday Morning’s Faith Salie on raising Jewish children in a multifaith familyOctober 27, 2022
- UnorthodoxRaising the RoofEp. 334: Israeli actor Michael Aloni, Pastor Corey Brooks, JQY founder Mordechai Levovitz, and new Shabbat music from Yair RosenbergOctober 13, 2022
- UnorthodoxAbsolute CitronEp. 333: Celebrating Sukkot with a deep dive into the global history of the etrog, a visit to an etrog farm, and a look at Jewish co-housingOctober 6, 2022
- UnorthodoxThe Apology Episode, 5783Ep. 332: Stories of reckoning, atonement, and goats on our eighth annual Yom Kippur special September 29, 2022
- UnorthodoxFamily Hold BackEp. 331: Filmmakers Ken Burns and Sarah Botstein on ‘The U.S. and the Holocaust,’ and kosher cookbook author Kim Kushner on ‘The Modern Table’September 22, 2022
- UnorthodoxClass ActsEp. 330: Author Michael Lewis on life among the Jews and CNN’s Dana Bash on reporting on antisemitismSeptember 15, 2022