Who Doesn’t Love the Stranger? (Mishpatim)
Parshat Mishpatim: Who does the Torah count as a stranger?
This week, we ask who really counts as the stranger and whether the answer upends the idea of compassion.
Parsha in Progress is a podcast hosted by Abigail Pogrebin. author of My Jewish Year: 18 Holidays, One Wondering Jew, and Rabbi Dov Linzer, head of Yeshivat Chovevei Torah.
- Parsha In ProgressWhy Torah is Like the Rain (Ha’azinu)Parshat Ha’azinu: Why prophets speak in poetry, not proseSeptember 21, 2020
- Parsha In ProgressIn Your Mouth and in Your Heart (Nitzavim)Parshat Nitzavim: Does God get a vote in how we interpret Torah? September 7, 2020
- Parsha In ProgressWayward Sons and Kidnapped Women (Ki Tetzei)Parshat Ki Tetzai: How to read unsavory biblical lawsAugust 24, 2020
- Parsha In ProgressIs Compassion Extra Credit? (Re’eh)Parshat Re’eh: The Bible doesn’t make charity simpleAugust 10, 2020
- Parsha In ProgressWhy Did God Keep Moses From Entering Israel? (Vaetchanan)Parshat Vaetchanan: Moses tells the people of Israel not to forget Mount Sinai before they enter IsraelJuly 27, 2020
- Parsha In ProgressDid God Break a Promise? Did We? (Maatot-Maasei)Parshot Maatot-Maasei: God denies the generation of the Exodus entry into IsraelJuly 13, 2020
- Parsha In ProgressWhat Do We Do When We See Evil Unpunished? (Balak)Parshat Balak: How Pinchas kills an Israelite man and Midianite woman in public without judicial processJune 29, 2020
- Parsha In ProgressIs Democracy Always the Divine Plan? (Korach)Parshat Korach: How an insurrection against Moses failed dramatically June 22, 2020
- Parsha In ProgressWho Deserves to Be Cut Off? (Beha’alotcha)Parshat Beha’alotcha: What the punishment of karet, being cut off from the people, actually meansJune 8, 2020
- Parsha In ProgressThe Daily Call of Mount Sinai (Shavuot)Chag Shavuot: What happened at Mount Sinai, and what does it mean for our choice, today, to be Jews? May 25, 2020
- Parsha In ProgressRemembering the Individuals Among the Crowds (Bamidbar)Parshat Bamidbar: Understanding the value behind the long lists of names and numbers in the BIbleMay 18, 2020
- Parsha In ProgressWhen Productivity Got Canceled Biblically (Behar)Parshat Behar: How the laws of ‘shmita,’ letting the earth lie unworked every seven years, echoes modern needs for periodic withdrawalMay 11, 2020
- Parsha In ProgressShould Jews Be Holy, or Good? (Kedoshim)Parshat Kedoshim: When God demands a life of being and actionApril 20, 2020
- Parsha In ProgressWhen Biblical Demands Seem Cruel (Metzorah)Parshat Metzorah: Sending the unclean person outside the campApril 13, 2020
- Parsha In ProgressThe Miracle of Jewish Survival (Tzav)Parshat Tzav: Should Jewish endurance be an argument for Jewish continuity?March 20, 2020
- Parsha In ProgressWhen Your Heart Moves You (and When It Doesn’t) (Pekudei)Parshat Vayahel Pekudei: How do we decide who is most worthy of charity?March 16, 2020
- Parsha In ProgressCan Fashion Choices Be Holy? (Tetzaveh)Parshat Tetzaveh: Why God Cares About What You WearMarch 2, 2020
- Parsha In ProgressWho Doesn’t Love the Stranger? (Mishpatim)February 17, 2020