Ep. 8: The Ghost of Royal Oak
Father Coughlin disappears from the public eye, but his legacy looms large
In the final chapter of this series, Father Coughlin disappears from the public eye, but his legacy lives on. When Coughlin stages a high-profile protest episode, and the church finally gives him an ultimatum: his radio career or the priesthood. The FBI closes in on Coughlin, but an unlikely figure steps in to save him from prosecution. Coughlin finally abdicates his on-air pulpit. But now, decades later, his legacy remains imprinted on the media landscape.
Radioactive is hosted by Detroit journalist Andrew Lapin and produced by Tablet Studios, with support from Maimonides Fund, and in association with The WNET Group’s reporting initiative, Exploring Hate: Antisemitism, Racism and Extremism. The show’s theme music is from The Ghost Writer and was composed by Alexandre Desplat. All speeches and material of Father Coughlin, as well as music and other audio from his radio program, are authentic to the source.
- RadioactiveEp. 8: The Ghost of Royal OakFather Coughlin disappears from the public eye, but his legacy looms largeNovember 23, 2021
- RadioactiveEp. 7: SeditionFather Coughlin incites his most extreme followers to violenceNovember 16, 2021
- RadioactiveEp. 6: Social JusticeFather Coughlin’s political movement gains momentum as his church superiors look the other wayNovember 9, 2021
- RadioactiveEp. 5: His Cross to BearPresident Roosevelt embraces radio while distancing himself from Father CoughlinNovember 2, 2021
- RadioactiveEp. 4: ‘Driving the Money Changers From the Temple’Father Coughlin expands his pulpit to politicsOctober 26, 2021
- RadioactiveEp. 3: The Sound of AmericaFather Coughlin starts broadcasting his religious services over the radioOctober 19, 2021
- RadioactiveEp. 2: Radio DaysFather Coughlin builds his church, with a little help from famous friendsOctober 12, 2021
- RadioactiveEp. 1: In the BeginningWho was Father Charles Coughlin, and what were the conditions that allowed for the rise of the first mass media demagogue?October 5, 2021
- RadioactiveRadioactive: The Father Coughlin StoryThe story of how a crafty bigot used a new medium to spread hate and get much too close to political powerSeptember 29, 2021