Introducing The Franchise: Jews, Sports, and America
A new limited series exploring the intersection of sports and American Jewish culture, hosted by Meredith Shiner
The Franchise is a new limited series that explores how contemporary American Jewish culture imprinted itself onto sports and sports imprinted itself onto Jews. Hosted by Meredith Shiner and produced by Tablet Studios, The Franchise highlights the moments and the people—the athletes, fans, stat geeks, journalists, and team owners—who merged these two very American worlds.
The series kicks off with Sandy Koufax and the so-called Koufax curse that befalls Jewish athletes who play on Yom Kippur, revisits the story of “Jewish Jordan,” Tamir Goodman, probes why Jews love teams that always seem to lose, and much more.
- The FranchiseThe Postgame ShowEp. 8: Looking back on the season, and what we learned about Jews, sports, and AmericaDecember 14, 2022
- The FranchiseSports, Identity, and JusticeEp. 7: From Sandy Koufax to Sue BirdDecember 7, 2022
- The FranchiseThe Sports MitzvahEp. 6: How the world of professional sports reshaped a rite of passage for American Jewish teensNovember 30, 2022
- The FranchiseShondas and Stereotypes: Jewish Sports Team OwnersEp. 5: Exploring the complicated way we feel when high profile Jews behave badlyNovember 16, 2022
- The FranchiseThe Halftime ShowTaking a break to dance with the 1990s New York Knicks and analyze the Kyrie Irving controversyNovember 9, 2022
- The FranchiseJewish Sports Nerds and Their Path to the Promised LandEp 4: How ‘Moneyball’ changed the game and opened the door to new careers in sportsNovember 2, 2022
- The Franchise40 Years in the Desert: Jews and the New York MetsEp. 3: How the most Jewish team in the most Jewish sport embodies endless suffering—and the unwavering belief that this season might be differentOctober 26, 2022
- The FranchiseReevaluating ‘Jewish Jordan’ Tamir GoodmanEp. 2: In the basketball-crazed ’90s, a Jewish sports hero was anointed. But looking beyond the headlines, did we get the story right?October 19, 2022
- The FranchiseGenesis: Sandy Koufax as Model MinorityEp 1: Baseball, Yom Kippur, and what it means to be a Jewish athlete in America—then and now October 12, 2022
- The FranchiseIntroducing The Franchise: Jews, Sports, and AmericaA new limited series exploring the intersection of sports and American Jewish culture, hosted by Meredith ShinerOctober 7, 2022